It can be intimidating to have to raise funds, even for something as important and Biblical as missions. We have all felt at least a little overwhelmed at the amount of money needed for an outreach or school! But God always provides for His children. Each person has a story (or many) on how God provided for them in amazing ways. We do the possible and He does the impossible.
Below are some tips to help you get started in the support raising venture.
Support Raising Funding Coach – Scott Morton serves as International Funding Coach for The Navigators and has been instrumental in helping YWAM staff reach full support. http://www.scottmorton.net/
Why We Raise Support: an interview with YWAM’s founder Loren Cunningham. Get the document
Not Enough Support? Two strategies to get your income where it needs to be. By Betty Barnett, Holmes M. Bryant Jr. Get the document
How to Increase Your Support Income: Four support raising experts share their advice. Get the document
- Ask your church’s missions board
- Send a letter to friends and family asking them to take part in this ministry opportunity with you.
- Host a coffee or dessert night where you share about your opportunity and need. Take up an offering or leave a donation basket out.
- Bake sale
- Yard/Garage/Rummage sale
- Get creative! There are no shortages of opportunities!
- The God Ask by Steve Shadrach. As a ministry worker, raising support can be a daunting task. It doesn't have to be intimidating though. It isn't about money or asking people to give. It is about looking to God to provide for you. He has given you a vision for ministry, and now you get to invite others into that vision. Your job is to pray and work hard to discover those whom the Lord has already prepared to invest in you and your ministry. God has done His work. Now it's time for you to do yours. Get it here.
- Daring to Live Life on the Edge by Loren Cunningham. Living by faith is not the domain of only those Christians called to "full-time" ministry. Every Christian can enter into the adventure. What is important is not our vocation, but whether we are committed to obeying God's will in our lives. If you are willing to step out in faith and trust in God, doing whatever it is He has asked you to do, then you will see His provision. Once you have experienced this, you will be spoiled for the ordinary. Get it here.
- Funding Your Ministry by Scott Morton. Whether you are experienced at fundraising or just starting out, Funding Your Ministry will help answer your questions and put you on the biblical path for recruiting and maintaining donor support. Get it here.
- Friend Raising by Betty Barnett. Friend Raising brings together God's plan for missions support with principles proven in the field. The book focuses on lasting support raising: intimacy in relationships, bearing one another's burdens, generosity, and communication. In a world swamped by fundraising hype, Betty Barnett presents a refreshing biblical alternative based on relationship. Get it here
ready to take the leap of faith?